Tuesday, January 10, 2012

What is the Secret?


Sooo the weekend is long over and once again it's back to the hustle and bustle of the work week! Since I failed to post over the weekend, and even yesterday, I will run down the exciting points of my weekend events.

Friday
It just so happened Friday my boyfriend and I had our 3 1/2 year anniversary. We don't normally celebrate half years, but I was in the mood for some together time. I think I am getting spoiled doing something every week between Christmas, New Years and our Halfverssary. I really can't believe it's been that long sometimes. We aren't the most  exciting couple, especially come Friday after a long week. Our Friday night plan was to cook a nice meal together. I totally forgot to snap a picture of our meal :( but I happen to have some leftovers that I threw into yesterdays dinner.


When it all started

Monday Nights Dinner - Spaghetti Squash, broccoli from the stir fry and parmesean crusted Tofu (When I perfect the recipe I will post it) 

He made steak, while I made roasted buttercream potatoes, stir fry vegetables and spaghetti squash. He was not a big fan of the spaghetti squash, that was really for me, I think it is delicious!!! The potatoes were for him. However, I have to say the meal overall was quite yummy. It was a nice quiet evening :) and I so enjoy them at the end of the week.

Saturday- 14 Mile Run
Well, I set out for my 14 mile run and it was absolutely gorgeous out. Who ever heard of 55 degrees in NY in January. It was a pleasant change from running in 20 degree weather earlier this week! I think I may have overdressed for the tempature because I was so warm and bright red mid way through. I wore capri running pants with a handy dandy pocket in the back which makes it look like you have a growth coming from your cocyx bone lol, bright pink compression socks, a tank top and a pink thermal. This was my first time running in my compression socks which will be discussed momentarily. By mile two I was wishing I wore my tank top early and was tempted to take off my long sleeve shirt as I saw a another female runner with her shirt tied at her waist. I continued along admiring the scenery and the weather. One thing, I will admit that I do wrong is I do not drink when I run. I started working on it when I did 6 or 7 miles on the treadmill, but outside I just never do. However, I did contemplate stopping at Starbucks for water. I think I may invest in a hydration belt as strange as they look.



Usually during my runs I get tired at mile two and then around six or anytime I go uphill. I always get a second, third or even fourth wind of energy. By mile 11 I was just enjoying running and tuned everything out. As I approached my starting point I knew I still had about three miles to go, so I decided to run through the nearby park since it was so nice out. Let me just say I'm not a park runner normally, I hate going around n' around lol, but when it's nice out I do usually enjoy the trees and people and the picturesque of it all. As I was running, there was a fellow runner who fell. She twisted her ankle and had some scrapes. She said she was fine and did not need any help, she was just embarrassed. But trust me it's nothing to be embarrased about, it happens. I helped her up and continued on to finish my run quickly to make up time.

Recap: Several things I noted during my run:
1. Learn to hydrate properly. This is something I'm aiming to work on. It hindered me during my first half marathon, when after my first sips of water I felt as if I was drowning.

2. It may be just me, but it seems to be a lot simpler to add miles to a normal route. You already know the terrain and the points that are difficult and the ones that are refreshing. You know where there is great scenery and where your body likes to get tired. So when beginning to add on mileage, it may be better to add new territory to old territory. It gives your body a change while keeping something the same. What do you think?

3. Pace is everything! Listen to what your body says, and keep it consistent. Your better off staying slow and running the whole time, than speeding up, and burning out too soon.


Does it really help?
Soooo as I talk about my logging long mileage I would like to address the topic of compression socks. I purchased a pair as a secret santa gift and they had a special deal so I got a pair as well.


Those are the presents I like, one for you- one for me! So lately after long runs I put them on to help recover, I even sleep in them sometimes :). Normally between running and wearing four inch heals at work my calves almost always feel tight and sore. On Saturday, I decided to wear my compression socks running, to test the different opinions I have heard. There are numerous people who feel the best time to wear compression socks are after a run, to aid in recovery and blood circulation. Others say they are great for after a run, but wearing them during a run makes them feel stronger, faster and more limber while running. So I put it to the test.

Compression socks: During Vs, After running
Normally when I wear them after runs they completely help my legs heel. My legs feel good as new, as if they did some activity but nothing too vigerous. Usually my next run after wearing them is even better. Sometimes I use them just to release calf tension from wearing heels during the day.

Now for wearing the socks while running: I am not sure what I expected.  I felt tired when I got home but not too sore. However, wearing compression socks during running really didn't seem to do anything different but make me warm. I may start wearing them just to stay warm during cold morning runs. But when I got home I mapped my run and the results ... dun ... dun ... dun:

I finished the 14.3 miles in 2:02:45. I averaged 8:35 minute miles, which is good for me for a full 14 miles, without putting extra attention to speed and including my stopping time to help a fellow runner. So was it the help of the compression socks???

Overall, I am a true fan of the compression sock whether you wear them before or after a run. I love the brightness they bring to my running outfit. I definitely suggest wearing them after. Wearing them during a run, I think may be psychological, but hey, if it gets you to run faster and recover faster go for it. I will definitely wear them after my runs, and maybe during long extensive runs. I think I may test them once more during my next long run, and I will keep you posted.

In addition to my faster speed Saturday, on Monday I did 4.3 miles in 35 minutes. I inserted five one minute sprints with one minute recoveries, but overall my run was a great run not overly strenuous. It's my best time since surgery. Maybe I am finally recovering and gaining my speed back. Was it the compression socks, or maybe its muscle memory (forshadow to my next topic)!!

Marathon training Week 6: January 9-15

Mon- 4 miles (4.3 miles (35 min)+ leg workout)
Tues- 7 miles (7.7 miles (1:05:45)
Wed- 4 miles (will do 4 miles and either arms or abs)
Thurs- cross train
Fri- 7 miles
Sat- 15-16 miles (I'll aim for 16 miles)
Sun- rest



Marathon Training Week 5: January 2- 8: Updates of what I actually accomplished!
Mon- 4 Miles (7.5 miles)
Tues- 7 Miles (4.4 miles)
Wed- 4 Miles (cross train) and abs
Thurs- Cross train (4 miles and arms)
Fri- 7 Miles (7 miles- I dont remember the exact number.)
Sat- 14 Miles (14.3 miles)
Sun- Rest

(What I actually did)




2 comments:

  1. really enjoyed this entry, especially the review of the compression socks :) glad you're getting back to your pre-surgery self! looking forward to the next post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!!! Glad you enjoyed it! It is even better now that it has been edited! BTW schwaggle.com currently has a deal on compression socks. I am tempted to buy them, but I didnt see any reviews on that specific brand.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! Feel free to comment below...