Friday, March 2, 2012

Dedication, Motivation, and Perseverance!

Happy March!!! Its March 2nd, where in the world has the time gone? Where in the world is Carmen San Diego (O, I truly enjoyed that show). I really cannot believe we are in March and that the Marathon is in 15 days. Craziness! The month of march kind of annoys me because its very uneventful, no days off from work, no holidays, not many events lol. Luckily, I have been off the last 2 days and today, and will be taking off  a couple of days for the Marathon. I love making my own holidays. Anyway, I have so much to share with everybody, since I have been slacking with my blogging. But I will be breaking it up in several posts, so your not reading forever. Look for the following posts shortly.
In this post:
1. An update on compression socks
2. Recap of my longest run ever, and my last long training run.
Separate Posts:
3. Products I am Falling for
4. Recipes I created/ attempted haha.

Compression Socks: Does it Really Help- Update:
Previously, I gave my opinion on compression socks. You may read my previous review. http://runningonsweets.blogspot.com/2012/01/what-is-secret.html.

I would like to update a couple of things, to give a more accurate review. As most runners would agree, every run you have is different whether doing 3 miles or 20 miles. So just to make a disclosure, this is just my experience, my experience really could have nothing to do with the socks and just a result of other factors, but I seem to think its because of the socks. In my prior post I said I am a believer in compression socks, and really believe they work, whether you wear them during or after a run. I didn't notice a great difference wearing them during my run, but recommended you wear them after running. However, I sort of changed my opinion. I think it all depends what you are looking for them to do. When I wear my compression socks during my run, my run never feels easier and almost harder; it may be due to the circulation of the blood and the compression to your legs. I still do not like running in them from my experience, but I will say if you wear them during a run I find the recovery time for your legs is quicker than just wearing them after. I wore my socks during on one or two of my runs and each time I took them off as soon as I got home, to rush and do some errands. I didn't wear them at all the rest of the day (since they were dirty). The next day my calves weren't an ounce sore. Normally, I wear my socks all day after my run and sometimes even to sleep. They make my legs feels so much better, but the next day my calves are usually not really sore but I can still feel the pressure. So if you truly want a fast recovery, my suggestion is to wear compression socks during your run. If you have a little more time to recover like a full day or 2 and do not want to compromise your run, wear them after your run. I still continue to wear them primarily after my runs, but that is just my preference. So i would suggest doing your own experiment and see what works for you!

BTW, I just purchased new compression socks and cannot wait to wear them. My friend Vanessa also purchased them, (she is my sock buddy. I bought her, her first pair as a secret Santa gift) and she has already used them. She gave them a good review. So hopefully they are great. They are really pretty! O, How I love new running gear!

Don't you just love the heart? I do : )

Running, Running, Running, Forever!

About a week and a half ago I had one of my fastest runs on my own. I really have a hard time going fast when not on a treadmill or at a race. But on February 21, I ran 5.61 miles in 44:35. That is an average of 7:57 minute miles, Whoo Hoo. Right under 8 minutes :) .

Ok, on to more important running talk. This past weekend, I set out to run 20-22 miles, aiming for 22 miles. I winded up running 23 miles and I was super pleased. I got through the whole run with no potty breaks which is an accomplishment in itself. I cracked open my energy gel at about mile 14, and I felt pretty strong through most of the run. The thing I am most afraid of is going out too fast and not being able to hold on. I struggle keeping a steady pace. I notice a pattern, I tend to speed up, go steady, slow down and repeat. I think part of it depends on the terrain, scenery, car traffic, people traffic, my music, and my thoughts at any given point. I am so easily distracted. I now see what people say about getting past 20 miles once I hit the 21 mile marker it just feels like, why am I am still running haha. Running such a long distance is not only physical but mental as well. It is all about motivation, dedication, and perseverance. You just have to tell yourself no stopping to we get to the end. You should the mantra's and peep talks i sometimes give myself haha (I will write about that one day). Sooooo, now to the results....drum role please.....23.09 miles/ 3:18:23 = 8 min 35 sec miles. I am very pleased, with the results. If i maintained that for the whole marathon I would finish in approx. 3 hrs and 45 min., which is what I will probably finish in and is a good goal for me. My overachievers goal is 3:30 but as long as I finish before 4 hrs, I will be happy. I have to admit, as much as I love running I am happy this was my last super long run, and now the tapering begins. The thought of tapering makes me antsy, I know you have to let your body recover but to decrease so much for 2 weeks and then jump into 26.2 miles makes butterflies in my tummy.
Just picture them fluttering around, hehe!

But my theory is, if all the great runners do it I guess it must work. I think the next 2 weeks I will work on speed and strength. I finally purchased a car (Yipeee), and will now alternate gym workouts with outside workouts. No more running in the freezing cold or the rain for this girl, lol.

Something New for You
These past two weeks I changed up my cross training to incorporate intervals and tabata. If you have never heard of tabata workouts they are short, super intense and great. It consists of a high intensity exercise for 20 seconds with a 10 second recovery and you repeat it eight times. You can do 1 round which is about 4 minutes or choose several exercises and make a 20- 30 min workout. You will do eights rounds of each 20/10 rep and then a minute break in between rounds. Give it try. if you nee some guidance check out Motion Traxx, they have a great podcast you can download that will instruct you. I will give a further information about the greatness of Motion Traxx in my coming post Products I love!!!. Its like one of the greatest things ever.


Marathon Training


Week 12- February 20-26 ( plan and update all in one) : BTW I did not do a good job of tracking my mileage these week.
Mon- 5 miles (8.17 miles- 1:09:10 )  I was off, so Mon and Tues were switched. Not completely sure on the mileage  
Tues- 8 miles (5.32 miles- 44)  Not sure on the time
Wed- 5 miles (5.61 miles- 44:35)  Not completely sure on the mileage  
Thurs- cross train (abs/interval workout/ tabata workout)
Fri- 5 miles (I did a little over 5 miles, if i remember correctly I did 5.61 miles but I don't remember the time :( ) 
Sat- 20-22 miles (23.09 miles- 3:18:23)
Sun- rest   




Marathon Training: Week 13-  February 27- March 4th 
Mon- 5 miles (5.48 miles- 44.50 (time a little off) and quick outdoor leg workout)
Tues- 6 miles, thought it said 8 (7. 75 miles- 1:02:36)
Wed- 5 miles ( (cross trained instead)abs/interval workout/ tabata workout/ stretch)
Thurs- cross train ( 5.85 miles- 51:50 (time is a little off) )
Fri- 4miles (4:35 miles- 35:15/ arms/ yoga)
Sat- 12 miles 
Sun- rest  


(What I actually did)   

1 comment:

  1. i cannot wait to do this run with you on saturday, even though i'm only going half the distance haha you have trained so hard for this and i know you are going to feel amazing at the end when you cross that finish line!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! Feel free to comment below...